Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Age Group Nationals 2013

          Age Group Nationals in Milwaukee, Wisconsin was my first Olympic Distance race back since Collegiate Nationals in April and my bike crash in June. Coach Ken was a little skeptical of having me compete in this race since my longest run since the crash was 60 minutes long, and ideally I should have been doing 90 minute runs before an Olympic distance event. We thought another option would be to do Rattlesnake Triathlon, a local race where I could also compete in the Olympic distance, however, I decided to give Age Group Nationals a go! I booked my flight a week out from the event and made travel arrangements to stay with my CU coach Mike Ricci and one of my teammates, Davide Giardini. Ken was the bike course coordinator at this event, so I could only see him briefly.
         I have never been to Milwaukee, let alone Wisconsin before, so I was really excited for the new experience. I love traveling to new places. It was good to travel with a group that enjoys Italian food: Davide really hit it off with the owners of the restaurant Trattoria Di Carlo since he is Italian. We ate at the same restaurant both nights before the race, which was great for me because I love sticking to rituals! I had some trouble putting the triathlon bike together since I had never done it before with my teammate, Adam McKittrick's bike. I am so grateful he has lent it to me for all of this time! Coach Ken ended up coming to my hotel to double check the bike for me, which I needed, since I definitely messed up a few things, including having an extra spring on the skewer. Amateur hour!
         Age Group Nationals is definitely much more hectic and tiring than other races due to the big crowds and everyone trying to get their pre-race plans done at the EXACT same time! This trip involved a lot of running around from place to place, and adjustments on race morning, due to increased security measures. Luckily I got in all of my pre-race stuff, racked my bike and we were out of there. Honestly I don't like these types of events where it's super crowded. Creates more room for error and adds stress.
         I was definitely a bit nervous for this race since Olympic distance events are completely different than Sprint distance. I knew I needed to be smart in terms of energy management, hydration, tactics, and mental strength. I reminded myself of all of the training I put in this summer, and even though my fitness was maybe not where it needed to be, I trusted that it would be enough. 
         On race morning we were rushing around a bit because they closed the freeway we needed to take to get to the venue so we didn't arrive 1.5 hours early in transition as I usually do, which kind of stressed me out. I also forgot my helmet from the car, so Mike had to grab it for me and I didn't finish fully racking my bike until 7:15am, 15 minutes before transition would close. I was definitely a bit jittery and not thinking straight since I felt rushed; I did not double check all of the things I normally check on my bike, and this would later punish me and greatly alter the results of my race.
Towards the end of the run, my CU Teammate,
Matt Wolford cheering me on!
         I think I had a really strong swim start and this set me up for a good race. My swim was a 22:14, which is good for me. I was not too far back from some of the girls that used to beat me by minutes on the swim. I was only maybe 35 seconds back this time around. I had a great T1; this involved a long run since my bike was racked by the bike exit, but I caught a few girls here. I hopped on the bike and after a few pedal strokes I realized something was really off. The whole bike course I did not feel comfortable on the bike; it was not shifting well and it kept jolting and skipping gears every time I would stand up, making me almost fall numerous times; I did not want to crash again, so I stayed seated for the whole bike portion. My hamstrings and calves took the toll from this, but I did my best. I dismounted my bike, ran into T2, hitting a small bump and the back wheel nearly fell off; I jammed it back into place, realizing the skewer was completely open. This could have been really bad...
        I knew I needed to make up the time on the run since I literally lost minutes on the bike. I was 2 minutes back from some of the girls I try to be competitive with, but slowly I started catching them one by one. I felt like my calves were going to cramp for the first 1.5 miles since I pushed it so hard on the bike, due to my power going nowhere with the rubbing of the chain and awkward shifting. I was 16th out of the swim, then 11th off the bike, and finally on the run I moved my way up to 5th over time. I caught the 6th place girl about .5 miles from the finish. I had timed it perfectly without even knowing it. I remember seeing her at one of the out and backs and she was at least 2 minutes ahead of me! Woah, I had a good run! Considering everything I have been through I was really pleased with running a 40:33. I always knew I was capable of running that pace if I stayed healthy, but honestly if someone told me that's what I was going to run on that given day I would not have believed them, based off my run fitness level. 
Happy to finish! Sprinted until the finish!
       In this race I learned how important it is to trust yourself and believe in yourself, and that even if you have a mechanical on the bike or a poor swim, you can always come back...always! During the whole run I kept telling myself to stay strong and never quit. I knew that if I stayed strong, I could catch the other girls in front of me. I made sure to stay mentally focused and very aware throughout the whole race, which I have struggled with in the past. I focused on my breathing and really settled into a good rhythm at the turnaround for the last 5k. I knew I could outrun some of the girls but I needed to be patient, otherwise I would blow up. I did exactly that, staying on top of nutrition and staying cool.
       The whole week leading up to the race Coach Ken put me through my first real taper. "Taper, what's that and why do I need it?' I thought at first. I felt strong and wanted to keep training, but I trusted my coach and it paid off. I think if it weren't for that taper and training smart for this summer and the past few weeks, the race would not have gone so smoothly and this comeback would have come much later. 
       Post race was fun. This included burgers, pizza, and ice cream! Although this does not fit my normal diet, it was so good and so worth it! I had a fun trip getting to see some of my friends I don't always get to see during the school year, getting to meet new triathletes, and learn new things about racing and myself; I know I will be much more prepared for my other Olympic distance events now. I remember going into this event thinking that I am only suited for sprint distance and that's what I'm fit for, but I realized after this experience I can do well at the Olympic distance too, and that in itself is a huge confidence booster and helps me look forward to Age Group Worlds in London and the upcoming Collegiate season. I'm a new athlete this year, 100% committed and excited to keep training smart, racing hard, and staying healthy! There are so many more things to learn and that in itself is something to look forward to!
5th place 20-24 Age Group. Some competitive girls!
My first real USA Triathlon trophy.
So legit!



         

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Stay Motivated in the Winter

I get asked the question "how do you stay motivated in the winter?" quite often really. I am human, like everyone else, and t...