Monday, April 15, 2013

CU Triathlon Team 2013 Collegiate Nationals

I had a great time at 2013 USAT Collegiate Triathlon Nationals. I am so proud to be a CU Buff and humbled by the fact that we only won by 2 points. You can never underestimate your competition. I cannot believe how far I have come this year. I took a risk when I decided to quit tennis and transition to triathlon (almost changing my identity in a way). I like this identity better and I like where I am at as a person and an athlete. I have overcome obstacles with being injured during the winter season, and trying to stay balanced when things became overwhelming. The key for me at nationals was to follow my race plan; that meant staying on top of nutrition, tactics, as well as listening to my body. I have to admit I was fearful on the run and did not fully execute when I think I could have; I will build confidence once I get to understand the limits of my body better. I cannot compare myself to others because we are all unique, and this does not benefit me in any way; what I can say is that I had a solid race off of one month of consistent training without injury, and I executed the plan the best I could under the circumstances. In March, I had to withdraw from a race I was really excited to do, Clermont U25 Draft-Legal Challenge. I had trained all winter for it, and was really strong before getting injured. I think the disappointment and frustration are what made me motivated to get the help I needed to be healthy enough to compete at Havasu Regionals and Collegiate Nationals. I did everything I could to ensure I could compete pain free, which I did at nationals. I feel I executed my plan and achieved my goal of finishing top 100, so I feel fulfilled; however, I am not satisfied. I look forward to getting back into training consistently, staying healthy, and competing this summer! I know next year will be a new experience. After all, every race is. I will build off these experiences and stay patient in the process of balancing training, racing, and academics. It's almost summer time, and I can't wait! Whatever ups and downs I may experience, I will enjoy the process.

1 comment:

How to Stay Motivated in the Winter

I get asked the question "how do you stay motivated in the winter?" quite often really. I am human, like everyone else, and t...