Sunday, April 21, 2013

An Amazing Find

         I recently wrote my friend, Joe Turcotte, who currently resides in Colorado Springs,  because I am looking for a place to stay this summer. I have known Joe for probably three years or so, and we have not spoken in a while; however, I think about him a lot.
I am the kind of person who likes to organize my life in chronological order in my mind. It's sort of like I am organizing a story in my head with all of the people and experiences I have had in my life. This way, whenever I want to go back to a certain time period, I can simply replay this in my mind; therefore, I never forget the amazing people in my life or what they have done for me. There was a piece missing in my story, missing for years, almost like the story just skipped over a part. The problem was this part was the turning point, the apex, and I could not figure it out. I could not figure out who it was that gave me that extra push to do something with my life. Who was the person that motivated me to really put some effort into triathlon, and who was the person that introduced me to Mike Ricci, the University of Colorado Triathlon Team coach when I was 17 years old.
        I would not be in this sport if Jevgenij Cariov, my good tennis friend and one of the best tennis players in the world hadn't gotten me to try the sport out. He was another influential person in my life, who was my tennis practice partner/mixed doubles partner, but  his passion became triathlon. Jevgenij was the person who got me to do my very first triathlon, Newton Trail Triathlon in Boulder Colorado. It was interesting to think that at the time I was really just doing the race for fun as kind of an outlet from tennis, since tennis is really the main sport I had pursued for the majority of my young life; I never thought that where I did my very first race, would eventually become my home. I never thought that triathlon, would eventually become the sport I pursue and love today.
       I have now filled the pieces in my short triathlon life. It was Taryn Archer, my amazing friend, who has been like a mother to me, who introduced me to her good friend, Joe Turcotte. Taryn used to take me to tennis tournaments and I worked with her on some USTA fundraising events. I worked with Taryn Archer and USTA to teach tennis to underpriviliged children, and to give them the opportunity to play at no cost. We did this at the Denver Cinco De Mayo Festival and the Dragonboat Festival. Taryn is one of the most amazing, giving, and loving people I have met in my life.
       It was Joe Turcotte and his wife Diane, who really changed my life. I had already been in contact with Joe through Taryn, and Joe was giving me a lot of coaching advice at the time. Having the support of two people who I didn't even know at Crescent Moon Triathlon [Joe and Diane}, was truly incredible( I basically just went into these races with no training); Joe and Diane told me before the race that I could do it and that I needed to take advantage of my run, which I did. It was after a while that I got to know Joe, that he introduced me to Mike Ricci, and I arranged my first meeting with Mike at the North Boulder rec center, where Mike gave me my first swim lesson. I was so unsure of myself at the time, but in my heart I think I actually knew what I wanted to do all along.
      The moral of all of this is that the Universe is amazing. Had I not been a tennis player, I would not have met Taryn Archer, so I would have never known Joe, and Joe would have never introduced me to Mike Ricci, and I would probably never have pursued this new lifestyle. It is amazing how the Universe works its magic if you let it. I think the Universe can see and feel what you want, only if you reveal that desire to it. The Universe will  help you, only if you choose to listen. The Universe will guide you, if you choose to follow. So follow that little voice. It is the Universe communicating with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Stay Motivated in the Winter

I get asked the question "how do you stay motivated in the winter?" quite often really. I am human, like everyone else, and t...